Monday, July 6, 2009

"She got the way to move me, CHERRY...CHERRY baby!"

The other day while I was in my backyard, I noticed that my neighbor had a cherry tree. I secretly hoped that he would bring us some and... HE DID!! He is such a sweet German man! He brought us a HUGE bucket full if cherries! After spending all day eating them yesterday, we still had a ton left. I knew I wanted to do something with them before they went bad.


My husband and I spend a while pitting them this morning. We were very creative and used a chop stick to push the pit out. I think after that experince, I need to invest in a cherry pitter.


So, this is what I did with them- I made some pie filling and froze the others. I found a recipe on line here
We took the chance that they are sweet cherries. So I followed the directions for sweet cherries. The filling turned out great and it was very easy! The cherries that I froze, I tossed with a little lemon juice and placed them in one layer on a cookie sheet.

All I have to say is, I am loving all these fresh berries in Germany! It's awesome!
~Sarah T.


p.s.- the title of this post is for my mom. She loves Neil Diamond!

No comments: