Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Calzones


I promise to get better at my "food photography"! Yikes!


When we lived in the states, we used to eat out a lot. But, since moving to Germany, I think I have done more cooking than I ever have in my entire life!! And, I am learning to cook a lot of different things and some of our favorite comforts foods. The other night, we made calzones and they were delicious! I used this basic pizza dough recipe:
1 cup warm water
2 TBSP olive oil
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast or 1 TBSP yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Combine yeast, warm water, and sugar. Let yeast bubble. Mix flour, salt, and oil. When yeast is ready mix into flour mixture. Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes. Let rise for 45 min. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 min.
You can fill your calzome with whatever you like. We filled ours with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, peperoni's, and olives. I closed up the calzone, cut some slits on the top so it could vent, brushed it with melted butter, and sprinkled Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Then, popped it in the oven. Then I made a dipping sauce of 1 can crushed tomatoes and seasoned to taste with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and a little sugar. Heat that up and you have a great dipping sauce!
Give it a try!
~Sarah T.

No comments: