Thursday, August 27, 2009

Homemade Pizza Dough

This is a recipe I found in Cooking Light. The dough turned out to be really good and it makes enough for two pizzas so you can freeze one and use it for another meal if you want.
1 Package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups cold water
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp salt
5 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour, divided
Cooking Spray

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Combine 1 1/4 cups cold water, oil, sugar, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
Lightly spoon about 5 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, yeast mixture, and cold water mixture in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low 8 minutes or until dough begins to form Let rest 2 minutes; mix on low 6 minutes or until dough is smooth. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes); add enough of the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 TBSP at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
Divide the dough in half, and place each portion in a large zip-top bag coated with cooking spray. Seal and chill overnight or up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. You can also freeze the dough in heavy duty, freezer-safe zip-top plastic bags for up to 2 months; thaw dough overnight in the refrigerator.

I used the dough right away and then froze the other one for another time and it turned out great. I made turkey sausage pizza cooked it in the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes. Just check on it because the recipe didn't give me a time or temperature so I guessed and it turned out good. Here are some pictures of my pizza. You can also make 4 cal zones out of the dough.

Pizza dough after I kneaded it and before I divided it into two.


The pizza dough all ready for the toppings. I put olive oil on my stone and then just shaped it around the stone with my hands.


This is the pizza sauce that I used.


The pizza with the sauce and half of the cheese on it.


The completed Pizza, Yummy!!!

No comments: